Saturday, September 13, 2014

#834 circuitous

I came home last night to find a notice on my door that I had missed a delivery by UPS.  It is the title and registration for my new car -- something I definitely need since the temporary permit expires on Monday!

When I do get this document, it will have logged more miles than my car has (literally).  So far it has been scanned 16 different times as it traveled from Englewood, CO to Commerce City, CO to Louisville, KY to Danville, IL to Davenport, IA before arriving in Dubuque.  No wonder it is arriving within hours of the temporary permit's expiration.  

The envelope wasn't delivered because it requires a signature, so I have two options:  take the day off and wait for it on Monday or drive to an inconvenient place to pick it up.  I will have to strategically time my lunch hour to do so since here are the hours of UPS "Service" Center:  8am-12:25pm and 1:30pm to 6pm.  Am I to believe that they only have one person covering their office and that person has to take lunch during the prime lunch period for their customers?

It seems to me that with all the technology and tracking systems that UPS has -- and apparently the very limited in-person staff -- that they could develop a proactive system instead of a reactive one.  Couldn't they have sent me an email saying "we're going to deliver Friday, will you be home or do you want us to hold it?" or allowing me to authorize a neighbor to accept the package for me.  I could have saved them a trip and I could have picked it up on my way home last night instead of coming down to the wire on Monday.  

I'm sure your organization has processes and protocols for how things work.  Maybe you can consider deploying them to increase the convenience on the front end instead of just documenting the steps along the way.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment