Thursday, March 22, 2018

leadership dot #2106: located

Today’s dot provides an example of the flip side of the (lack of) service I wrote about yesterday. When it was apparent that no tailor was going to return my destroyed hat to normalcy, I went to Dick’s Sporting Goods to see if they still had the same item in stock.

The winter displays had been replaced with a mega-selection of baseball uniforms so I asked whether hats had been moved elsewhere or were gone. The clerk promptly radioed the “apparel manager” who returned moments later with hats from storage. They did not have the exact cap I wanted, so she brought the same style in youth sizes (in case it was not for me), and similar styles in two other brands. She even offered to price-match the more expensive one to the same price as the one I was seeking. When I hesitated, she went online and began searching there and successfully located it for me!

This staff member was a problem-solver – offering a multitude of alternatives and options in an attempt meet my needs as closely as she could. Note that she did not even have the product in stock that I wanted, but she still provided excellent service.

The experience at Dick’s was as good as the cleaners’ was bad. Remember my experiences when you train your staff. The reputation of your company resides in the front-line clerk.

No comments:

Post a Comment