Monday, October 13, 2014

#864 a path

I spent a portion of my weekend writing the follow-up report from a consulting visit I did last week.  When I go to a new campus, a large portion of what I try to achieve is seeing the situation with fresh eyes.  Sometimes people who are involved in the day-to-day operations take things they are (or aren't!) doing for granted, and someone from the outside  can notice things far more effectively.

But the other benefit I try to provide is synthesizing what is needed and prioritizing action steps to help frame the short term work.

I am reminded of one more quote by St. Francis:
Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

Without intentionally trying to do so, my consultant report is structured in that format.  I highlight key observations and recommendations that should become a priority.  I then give other suggestions for consideration, which, if enacted, will result in a cumulatively significant result.

When the problem is big, we get so overwhelmed that we don't know where to begin.  Follow St. Francis' advice and just do what you know has to be done and what is realistic to achieve.  Little will lead to lofty; you don't have to start there.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment