Friday, February 20, 2015

#994 triumph

I remember a poster that was hanging in my high school history class.  It read:  "The harder the conquest, the more glorious the triumph."  

I think it was there because my history teacher was also the football coach, but it is a saying that has stayed with me for lo these many years.

I experienced this vicariously earlier in the week when our men's volleyball team defeated the #1 team in the country.  I obviously did not play, but all the fans knew that this win would be sweeter than most others.

I also felt this same way when I was able to solve a vexing problem at work.  It has been a tough semester, but when the pieces came together in a way where a group effort allowed us to truly help someone, the feeling was more satisfying than if the solution had come easily.

I have remembered this quote for so long because it applies so often.  We often wish that the road was smooth, but it is through surviving the hills that life can truly be savored.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment