Monday, May 4, 2015

#1067 sold

Over the weekend, our town hosted city-wide garage sales, a phenomenon that plays out on different weekends in different towns all spring.  It was a warm, sunny day, so no better way to get in my 10,000 steps than by meandering through the streets and sales.

Across the street my neighbor was selling a desk. I saw it as I was leaving and thought I would return later to check it out.  You know the rest; I returned and the desk had been sold. Goodbye beautiful work space.

At another sale, someone was selling a counter top.  My friend called back on Sunday evening to see if it was still available.  Nope.  It too was taken, ironically by another procrastinator who didn't decide until Sunday morning.  So much for that good deal.

A few years ago, someone was selling a retriever puppy at a sale.  She had been part of a charity auction and no one bid on her, so they were trying to find a new home from someone at the sales.  I hesitated, and now years later I still think of her and wish I had acted quickly enough to bring her home.

There are times when it is wise to ponder and consider options, and there are other times when acting quickly is the best way to go.  When faced with a decision, ask yourself how much time is really available to you.  If it's now or never, don't walk away and expect that you can come back and have the same choice available to you.  If it really is a good deal, someone else will act before you do.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment