Sunday, April 3, 2016

#1402 a new season

For six lucky teams, today is Opening Day of the 2016 baseball season. Whether you are a big baseball fan or not, I think attending an Opening Day game should be on everyone's bucket list. There is such hope and such optimism -- you can soak it in and transfer it to other areas of your life!

I went to my first Opening Day quite by accident. I had friends coming and we wanted to go to a game. It turned out that weekend happened to be the Cubs-Cardinals series. I was warned that to get a group of tickets on that weekend, I would need to stand in line in the wee hours of the morning tickets went on sale. So I did.

Fully intending to just get tickets to that game. 

But everyone else in line was getting Opening Day tickets. They were incredulous that I was waiting for hours and wasn't snatching up the opportunity to grab those tickets too. So I decided to buy two to see what all the fuss was about.

I thought Opening Day was just another baseball game. I was wrong. The electricity and the pageantry were something to behold. I went to every Opening Day for the remainder of my time in St. Louis.

Maybe your work isn't cyclical or perhaps you don't have a definitive start to the next phase in your organization's calendar. I hope you contrive to create one anyway. It is an emotional boon to have a clean slate and the start of a new season where optimism can reign. There is nothing like clearing the standings to make the team want to "play ball" with renewed vigor.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment