Wednesday, January 17, 2018

leadership dot #2042: pass

For Christmas, I received a year’s subscription to the MoviePass – a new program that, for about $10/month, allows you to see one movie per day in almost any movie theatre. It has been the greatest gift!

What I have discovered is that I really like movies on the big screen – much more than I realized that I did. I have seen more films in the theatre in the past month than probably in the past year. I take more risks and see things that I would not have otherwise paid to see. I see movies that I love multiple times (and, in the case of The Greatest Showman, yet again for the sing-along version!). I go to the theatre because it is now literally cheaper than renting from Redbox as long as you can resist the concession stand.

Instead of going to a movie as a rare treat, I this month I have seen several movies a week. Maybe the novelty will fade (or the post-Christmas selection of films will wane), but for now, I am really enjoying this cinematic addition to my entertainment.
MoviePass is a confluence of two key trends: a) a subscription service where people pay a recurring fee to get access to something and b) the use of data to mine the purchasing habits of the buyers. Part of what funds MoviePass is the data that the company sells to studios about the demographics and attendance patterns of the users. They already know how many tickets are sold, but now they know much more about who has purchased them.

Think of how your organization can capitalize on either one of these behaviors. Can you offer part of your services as a subscription for your most dedicated clients? Or perhaps you have data that could be valuable to your efforts (or to someone else’s)?
Implementing either strategy could be the ticket to your organization’s future success.

No comments:

Post a Comment