Saturday, April 21, 2018

leadership dot #2136: queries

As soon as I ordered my computer, I sent a text to my “tech guy” asking him if he could transfer all my data when the new computer arrived. He said that he had not done that on a Mac before, but he would “Google it” and get back to me.

He ended up sending me a link to instructions on how to migrate data and they were enough for me to do it myself. I never once thought to “Google it” myself, but had I done so, I would have accomplished the same end.

It is not the first time that I have asked someone how to do something and they responded by checking the internet for instructions. I guess that Google can make you wise beyond your skill set, and I need to rely on it for my initial query rather than thinking I am incapable of a certain task.

Being an expert doesn’t mean that you know the answers; it just means that you know where to find them.

No comments:

Post a Comment