Thursday, April 26, 2018

leadership dot #2141: departing

I just switched to a new veterinarian after a decade at the same clinic. When I asked for my records, they made copies and simply said: “Here you go.”

I have had four dogs in their care and have spent thousands of dollars on visits, tests, medicine, and doggie daycare. Yet never was there any attempt to understand why I am leaving or to suggest that I don’t.

I also just closed an account at a bank where my Mom had maintained a checking account for probably two decades or more. Even when I talked with the customer service rep about closing the account, no one tried to persuade me to stay with the institution.

I can understand the desire not to hassle consumers when they are leaving you, but businesses are losing an opportunity to learn something from the customers that know them best. Why not ask the simple question of “what could we have done better?” You would be getting feedback from customers who have enough experience with you to answer it and are in a position where they may be inclined to be candid.

It’s bad enough to lose a customer, but it is even a bigger shame to lose one without gaining insight in return. Don’t let your customers and all their knowledge just walk out the door.


No comments:

Post a Comment