Saturday, January 10, 2015

#953 visuals

For Christmas, I received a package of stickers featuring all of the emoji icons.  I see them on my phone, but in tiny versions, and have never really looked at the set on a larger scale.

I understand this computer language was developed in Japan so there are some cultural differences, but it is a strange assortment of characters.  If you had to think about the 172 icons you would most use in text messages, would you include: an eggplant, a circus tent, an ATM machine, three versions of cows, two camels, a bomb, a shower head, a cactus, a floppy disk, the Statue of Liberty, a lollipop and an octopus?

I am surprised companies haven't found a way to have their logo included in the list of options.  You could type a text:  meet you at [Starbucks logo] or [McDonalds] or [the Gap].  I think it opens up a whole new marketing opportunity!

It would be interesting to me to learn what the most used emoji was and what others think is missing.  (I could use a turkey that I wanted when I sent a Happy Thanksgiving greeting, a bone or more dog icons, a car and more visuals for weather instead of all the phases of the moon.)

Think about the symbols you use, whether via phone, in your email or through little doodles on notes.  Is there an icon you can develop that signifies "you"?  Just as a company has a visual identity, you could develop one of your own.  And maybe someday, pay to have it included as an option in your emoji choices.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment