Monday, January 19, 2015

#962 join hands

It seems that sometimes the further away from something we get, the more affinity we feel toward it.

If I see someone wearing a sweatshirt with our school's logo on it on campus, I don't give it a second thought.

If I see that same person in the same shirt in a downtown store, I notice it, and feel an immediate connection to them even if we are strangers.

If I encounter that same person in another state, I may have to stop and point out the common bond that we have.

And, surely, if I ran into that person while on vacation in Europe, we would have a conversation with lots of exclaiming and maybe even pictures or hugs.  Suddenly we would feel like kindred spirits instead of strangers.

Why do we have to traverse the continents to see what we have in common?  Wouldn't we all be better off if we celebrated our shared humanity everyday instead of fighting over differences?

As you recognize Martin Luther King Day today, visualize the people you see as wearing sweatshirts -- with the logo of "all God's children" joining hands -- including yours.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment