Friday, February 5, 2016

#1344 pie chart

"To say a person is a happy person or an unhappy person is ridiculous.  We are a thousand different kinds of people every hour." -- Anthony Doerr, "Memory Wall"

The above quote was recently published in the O magazine and it struck me as being particularly relevant. 

I have recently experienced a big life change and so people are frequently asking me how I am. I want to answer that I am a pie chart of emotions. Some days (moments?) the proportion of feelings shifts, but I never am feeling just one thing. There is a whole conglomeration of emotion wrapped up inside.

Whether it be with emotion, strategy or deciding what path to take, resist the urge to label something as one way or the other. Life is much more complex than that and you'll do best to acknowledge the amalgamation rather than the dichotomy.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

*Message card in February, 2016 O Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment