Monday, July 17, 2017

leadership dot #1872: inflamed

While outside reading, I was bitten by an insect. It was so small and fast that I did not even see it -- until a spot on my hand became red. When I woke up, the whole area was inflamed, and by mid-morning I was heading to the store for Benadryl. I could concentrate on nothing else -- all because of something I did not even notice initially.

Is one of your organization's employees like that insect -- stealthily spreading toxicity throughout your organization? Maybe they are not loudly protesting or causing a scene, but if they are buzzing from person to person leaving a negative reaction behind the effect is even more powerful. Others may not even realize what is causing their itch, but it is distracting them nonetheless.

As the leader, you are responsible for administering the equivalent of organizational Benadryl or deploying the swatter. Don't let size fool you. Something so small can have a disproportionately big impact if you don't stop it.

No comments:

Post a Comment