Sunday, November 19, 2017

leadership dot #1997: tunnel

I never set out to get a doctorate; I just took one class because I was interested in the legal aspects of higher education. But one class led to another and then to another and then, in 1997, I earned my degree.

The classes, my defense and graduation are all a blur, but what I remember vividly about this process was the day I finished my final draft and took it to the on-campus mail room (yes, we had to send hard copies!) to send out to my committee. There, outside the drop-off window, was my whole staff and a gathering of other employees who made a cheer tunnel for me to walk through en route to the delivery.

That simple act of recognition cost them nothing, but it still gives me goosebumps to think about it all these many years later.

When you want to show someone that you really care, it does not need to be a lavish gift or even a tangible item. Sentiment from the heart is much more valuable than objects.


Photo source: http://www.eac.nsw.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment