Monday, November 28, 2016

leadership dot #1641: right way

I recently attended a party and a woman complimented me on the scarf I was wearing. "I really like scarves," she said. "But I don't know how to fold them to wear them the right way."

Since when did there get to be a "right way" to wear a scarf? 

I wear a scarf most days during the winter, and there is no folding involved. I scrunch it up, wrap it around my neck and stuff the excess into my shirt. It never looks the same twice, but that is irrelevant.

I think people feel about many things the way the woman felt about scarves: they don't try for fear of failing or doing something 'wrong.' 

When there is a "right way" or "wrong way" it implies that someone else is deciding what is acceptable and what is not. Don't give away your power, even on the inconsequential things. As often as you can, put yourself out there and be the one to decide your own version of right.

-- beth triplett
@leadershipdots
beth@leadershipdots.com


No comments:

Post a Comment