Friday, November 2, 2012

#154 secret relationships

My sister came to visit me this weekend and was greeted by my two hyper-active dogs.  The day after she left, I was on the couch, calmly snuggled up with them, and it reminded me of this poem that I wrote in 1999:

secret relationships
Some children have invisible friends whom only they can see.
I am privy to the same sort of phenomenon…only with my dogs.
I have dogs no one else knows.

Oh, I have visitors to be sure.
But those who only know my two girls for 30 minutes or less
See wild, slobbering beasts
They see the initial burst of undisciplined in-your-faceness of 70 hairy pounds (times two!)
But I know that’s just their game face…the secret ritual which they play.
I can’t imagine living with the beasties that accost my visitors
Nor can I conceive of living without the dogs as I know them.
I know the real dogs.

The dogs I see have the unabashed joy of the ears flopping and tail wagging
as my goldens retrieve a ball in the park.
I see heads nestled in angelic poses as they snuggle together while sleeping.
I see total contentment with a dog’s snout settled on my feet as I sit at my desk.
I see them sleeping with four legs up in the air
or assuming other equally silly poses which make me laugh.
I see dogs who provide unconditional loyalty and comfort.
Only I see guardian angels with paws.

Once a friend came to watch a movie and received the usual hearty greeting
But after the dogs’ initial rambunctiousness, they assumed their usual sloth disposition
and curled up to enjoy a rawhide while we swooned over Harrison Ford.
“I’ve never seen them like this,” my friend remarked.
A glimpse of the mellow companionship I get every day.

I could never survive if the temperament that answers my door was the norm.
But to live without what is really there would create a huge void in my heart.

Is it the same way in other relationships?
Are those screaming munchkins acting out in the store the secret friends of their mommy?
Is the office curmudgeon really generous at home?
Does the one who feigns indifference really care?
Is the egotist just crying out for help?

Are there people that you only know in the “greet ‘em and eat ‘em” stage?
How could human relationships be different if we took the time to get to know each other?
What if we took the time and established trust...maybe we could see a whole other side.
With dogs and with people,
Take off your coat and stay awhile.
Let ‘em sniff you out.
The rewards of your secret relationship could be immeasurable.

 -- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment