Monday, November 5, 2012

#157 upgrade

I received notification that my (android) phone is eligible for an upgrade, including migration to the new iPhone.  My phone is only two years old and is perfectly functional, but my "geek" friend was all excited when he heard this.  He vigorously tried talking me into a new iPhone; maybe he can upgrade vicariously through me?  

His selling point was that I will love it because it can integrate with my iPad.  I pointed out that my home computer only supports an operating system that is too old to allow syncing with my iPad (so I don't have iTunes, photos, etc. on the tablet).  No worries to me -- the computer works perfectly well for the blog and email, but then his sales pitch switched to selling me on a new computer.  "OK, if you can sleep knowing that your technology may die," he taunted.  I got my iPod at the same time I got my computer so next he pounced on that and pointed out that when the iPod dies, I won't be able to use my new one because my computer won't support the newest version of iTunes.  And I should be getting a new car soon and the old iPod doesn't have Bluetooth and the car will, so I will be hopelessly behind.  Best to buy a new phone, computer, iPod and car all at the same time -- a plea that was all triggered by my eligibility for a free upgrade!

It seemed ironic to me that instead of celebrating that all of my equipment has remained mechanically functional for an extended period of time, I found myself lamenting that it no longer is enough.  Things must now continually change and be upgraded to remain technologically functional for the duration.

I think people are like that, too.  The mechanics of living and learning that we learned in school prove useful over the long haul, but unless we are continually upgrading our knowledge and capacity, entropy sets in and we start to function one operating system behind.  Make sure you upgrade your brain power today!

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment