Friday, November 23, 2012

#175 fascinating

I recently saw the movie "Flight" (starring Denzel Washington).  I wasn't expecting it, but it was one of the more thought-provoking movies that I have seen.  If anyone is in a "Movie Club" instead of a "Book Club", this would be a film that would generate a lot of discussion.  

In one of the scenes, the son of Denzel's character is applying for colleges and needs to write an essay.  The question:  "who is the most fascinating person that you never met?"  Think about that one for awhile.  (My personal answer: either Hillary Clinton or author/blogger Seth Godin)

I took this a step further and asked myself: "who is the most fascinating person that you never met that you realistically could meet?"  In other words, I'm not likely to have lunch with Hillary anytime soon, so who could I have lunch with that would fascinate me?  (my answer:  Jude Becker, a pig farmer who I heard speak of his vision for the role of organic farming in Dubuque's economic development -- it was fascinating!)

And, since I was pondering this on an hour-long solo drive, part 3 is: "who is the most fascinating person that you have met?" (hard one: maybe my former boss Keith Lovin).  For some reason, the two questions I arbitrarily added were harder for me to answer than the hypothetical one, but they provided some good mental fodder and made the miles go by quickly.

Think about your answers to the above three questions -- and then throw in a twist.  What should you be doing differently so that someone answers "you" to their question?!

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com


(Jude Becker = www.beckerlaneorganic.com/vision.php)


No comments:

Post a Comment