Tuesday, October 1, 2013

#487 modern day Babel

I recently downloaded an article in Time magazine through our university library.  I expected to receive a simple one page printable version of the column, and I did.

But in addition to that, I received a technological array of tools to accompany it.  With the click of a button, I could instantaneously have the article translated into 32 languages, including Romanian, Bahasa Indonesia, Magyar, Pashto and Turk.  Other language options came in non-Latin characters so I am not even sure what they were!

In addition to that, I could press a button and have the article read to me -- with an American accent, an Australian one or a British accent.  I am not sure why those three are different enough to warrant a distinct reader, but it was fun to play around!

Think about how high this sets the bar for your organization.  It is no longer average, let alone remarkable, to have your content available on line.  Now the standard is that it is available, translated and in audio form as well.  How do you say "Aye!" in Arabic?


-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment