Friday, October 11, 2013

#497 gym dandy

A few months ago, I joined a gym for the first time.  As I watched the miracle of physical therapy strengthen my muscles over time, I got the crazy notion that perhaps that type of training may be good for parts beyond my shoulder.  

I was scared to death to walk into the place.  I had a preconceived notion that everyone there was fit, buff, strong and coordinated and that I would stand out like a sore thumb.  So I hired a personal trainer to teach me what the machines even were, let alone how to use them, and develop a routine that would help me instead of result in a return to physical therapy. 

Today as I go to the gym, I don't think twice about it. I realize that I fit in there as much as anyone else.  We are all in our grubby clothes.  We are all pushing ourselves in ways that cause facial contortions and sweat.  For the most part, we are oblivious to who else is there or what they are doing.  

I also realize that I never want to go to the gym.  But I go anyway and it always feels good to have gone. 

Getting started is often the hardest part.  Whether making that phone call to a trainer to arrange lesson one or today walking into the gym and sitting down at the first machine, there is often more angst in thinking about it than is warranted in actually doing it.

Building strength -- whether in muscles or in organizations -- requires sustained gradual effort over time.  Don't wait to lift that first weight.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment