Saturday, November 2, 2013

#519 update

It fascinates me that most people know how to use the computer, tablet, phone and other devices even though we have never had a class on how to do so.  People teach each other tips and tricks or you can figure it out by playing around on your own.  With the iPhone it is a cycle -- the more people that have it, the more people there are out there to help you learn yours -- so you become more comfortable with it and use it more -- and develop a loyalty to what you know.  At our board meeting last week, I was helping a board member use her new iPhone that she got because her daughter recommended the iPhone, and so the cycle goes.  Millions of people are using iPhones without so much as an instruction manual.

The challenges come in when the system changes.  I downloaded a new operating system onto my iPhone a few weeks ago.  Last night, I had to do another download on my iPad.  After downloading, I had two different times displayed on my phone and tablet.  When I downloaded on my phone, I had every contact I had ever used at work or home suddenly appear in my contacts app.

New operating systems should be sent to the early adapters to download first so they can figure out the nuances and be ready to assist us novices when we have to update.  Until Apple figures out that level of sophistication in its distribution, I will rely on what I have learned from my personal technology geek friend -- the magic elixir of turning the machine off to reset!

How can you apply how we learn about technology to other things you want your employees to know?  If you make knowledge relevant, intuitive, pervasive and easy to experiment, people will figure out how to learn it and apply it.  And keep a reset button handy!

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment