Friday, November 22, 2013

#539 puppy love

I take my dogs to a practice where there are three veterinarians.  All three are competent and nice, but I rearrange my schedule so that I can have my appointments with Dr. Hensley.  She offers the same services as the other vets, but the way in which she provides her care sets her apart from the others.  

Recently I visited the vet when my Iris had an ear infection.  Dr. Hensley never put Iris up on a table; instead she crawled down on the floor to examine the ear.  "Ohhhh, poor Pookie," she cooed.  "We're going to make you all better."  She treats my "babies" as if they were her own, and treats me like I think she would want to be treated.  Dr. Hensley sets the dogs at ease with her loving manner, and assures me by providing just the right amount of information.

Dr. Hensley also always takes that extra minute to tell me how beautiful my dogs are or how she likes seeing one of the "Triplett Girls" (as she calls them) on her schedule.  She may say something similar to all of her clients, but she makes me feel like my dogs are her favorites.  

In Good to Great, Jim Collins talked about creating a pocket of greatness wherever you are in the organization.  Dr. Hensley has certainly done that in her role at the pet hospital.  I know if my girls could talk, they would ask for her too.

How can you deliver your service in such a way that makes your clients want to have their appointment with you?  Dr. Hensley is a model of how to go beyond the basics and add in some love.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

Thanks to Murphy's mom for the idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment