Wednesday, November 6, 2013

#523 home-work

I recently had lunch with a former co-worker who is now working as a consultant.  She works for a firm headquartered in another city, but is based out of her home here.

I asked her how she liked working from home and she listed a host of pros and some cons about the situation.  I told her that I would not like to have a job with such an arrangement, and she commented that she didn't think it would be much different than the work I do from home now.

The thing is, I rarely do office work at home now. While that was surprising to her, it is an intentional strategy for me.  Every day I come in early and stay about an hour after people leave which allows me enough time to do what needs to be done within the office setting.  Often I attend events or sporting contests or do something else work-related in the evening, but hardly ever is it paperwork or computer work at my house.

I think some people would be reluctant to admit that -- it seems to be an expectation that to be successful you need to be busy and connected all the time -- but I think that because I have this separation I am able to be more productive when I am in the office. I am able to read, relax and think -- and all these things contribute to the quality of my work when I am working.

If you are leaving every evening with a briefcase full of projects or you never really disengage from your computer, try a more humane strategy for a week or so. See if you can't increase your efficiencies while you are in the office to allow you the pleasure of having some actual downtime outside of it.  They call it Home Sweet Home for a reason.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment