Wednesday, March 12, 2014

#649 press one

A friend called yesterday and asked if I had read something in the morning paper.  Unfortunately, I never received yesterday's paper to have that opportunity.  I have had issues with delivery for about a week -- but I was hoping that it was just my wonderful carrier on vacation.  

I finally called circulation today and the receptionist said that they had been getting a lot of calls from my route and that I needed to talk to the manager.  In two hours when he came in.  So I called and talked to Ron who begrudgingly gave me a month's free delivery* -- and a bucketful of excuses.  Yes, I have a new carrier.  Yes, he has some challenges.  Yes, Ron was working with him daily to try and improve.  I suggested that the carrier could improve by setting his alarm for an hour earlier so we got the morning paper in the morning, but Ron didn't seem to think that was a valid solution.  

Instead he said that he was going to "work with the carrier for a couple more weeks" to see how it goes and if that doesn't work he will consider splitting the route or finding a new delivery person.  And a new subscriber because my tolerance won't last that long.

My friend related similar woes with his internet provider as he tries to move.  He spent literally hours on the phone with multiple people until he got to the "escalation team manager."  Why is such a position even necessary?

His father-in-law also did battle, during which he learned he was a "two star" (never mind 12-year) customer with the provider, thus not eligible for the "five star" rate given my friend.  Until, of course, he spent hours and spoke to various levels of people and ultimately got the better deal.

If you are looking for a sweet spot in which to wow your clientele, invest in true customer service over the phone.  Don't put people on hold or make them jump through multiple managerial hoops.  Don't give excuses for why you can't help them.  Don't spend hours haggling and then ultimately provide what they wanted in the first place.  Wow 'em when they are least expecting it and I'm sure they will talk about you for days -- in the good way, instead of how they are doing now!

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

*I do monthly autopay and he said he had to do a month's credit because of that!

No comments:

Post a Comment