Thursday, March 13, 2014

#650 reinvented

I think our town has the most Mexican restaurants per capita of any small city, but I was nonetheless sad to see my favorite place close last month.  Suddenly all the windows were covered with brown paper and the doors were locked.  I thought they were out of business for good.

But I was wrong!

They closed to convert their interior from a sit-down/server restaurant into a "Burrito Express" make-it-as-you-watch kind of place (think Chipotle).  It was a genius idea.  They are located downtown so I am sure they have a heavy lunch crowd and they are next to a community college center with high grab-and-go traffic.

I went earlier this week and the place was packed.  A long line, but served quickly as only an assembly process can do.  They had more customers simultaneously in the time I was there than they had combined in all my previous visits.

Kudos to them for acknowledging that they were struggling in a crowded market and reinventing themselves into something that made more sense for their clientele and location.  Sure, it would have been great had they recognized the market from the get-go, but it still took courage to give themselves a new life.

If you or your organization is struggling, don't throw in the towel.  Think instead about throwing up the brown paper and emerging as something new inside.


-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

For the locals:  It's Adobos Burrito Express, 756 Main

No comments:

Post a Comment