Thursday, December 4, 2014

#916 invitations

Recently when we were conducting reference checks, we talked to a few people we knew who were part of the candidate's LinkedIn network.  No one knew the person we had interviewed.  I thought that was sort of a prerequisite for an effective communication web...

so can someone clarify for me what the protocol is for accepting invitations on LinkedIn?  Lately I have been receiving invitations from people that I do not know.  Is that the whole point -- to expand my network -- or is the point to only have connections with people I know?

It's not as if the invitations are from people in enrollment or even higher education.  I have been asked by someone who works in a child care center, social services, 3D printing and insurance. 

If I accept them in my network, then does someone else accept them because I did and they think "any friend of beth's is a friend of mine!".  Are they going to ask me about someone I have never heard of (except when I accepted their invitation!)

In the old days, you could have a Rolodex full of business cards from people you barely knew or who sent you cards in the mail. The difference is that they didn't have your card in their file, and it seems like with LinkedIn there is that exchange.  Does that reciprocal nature imply knowledge of or endorsement?

Sales guru Jeffrey Gitomer said that he doesn't accept any invitations that have the generic "XYZ would like to connect with you" message.  His theory is that if you don't take the time to explain your rationale for the connection in the invite, he declines.  

Before I am guilty of being LinkedOut, can someone clue me in as to acceptable practice?

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com

@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com





No comments:

Post a Comment