Monday, December 7, 2015

#1284 3x3

According to an infographic in the Southwest Airlines magazine, you are "58% more likely to get a favor if you ask via sticky note."

Regardless of my skepticism as to how they calculated this, I must admit that I believe it.  Maybe not the precision of the 58%, but the general principle.  

Why?  Because a request written on a sticky note has two things going for it.  One, it is informal, so you likely know the person you are asking.  And secondly, the request is likely to be specific.  

I have written before about the magical power of specificity, and this is yet another example.  Saying "could you proof this for me?" is much more likely to be done than "Let me know if you need help."  

Whether or not you actually make your request through this medium, think of the sticky note the next time you need a favor.  If your desired action isn't specific enough to fit on a 3x3 square, perhaps you need to rethink what you are asking.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com


Thanks bg for sharing!

No comments:

Post a Comment