Tuesday, February 5, 2013

#249 wow

While many spent their Sunday watching the Super Bowl, I know someone who was actually THERE.  He spent four grand for a complete package, and bought himself a memory that will be with him for a lifetime (especially with the power outage!).  

If you would have asked me last week, I couldn't have told you who was even in the Super Bowl, so I have no jealousy about his status.  I do have great admiration, though, for someone who knew his passion and acted on it.

I felt the same way a few years ago, when a colleague paid a princely sum to attend an intimate black tie event with her beloved Bears players.  Again, I had no desire to accompany her, but did appreciate her willingness to sacrifice on almost everything else to create this memory for herself.

I am reminded of a children's book, Alexander, Who Used to Be Rich Last Sunday by Judith Viorst.  It is a delightful tale of Alexander, who dwindles away his dollar with little to show for it when it is gone.

I think many of us are like Alexander -- we buy fast food meals, assorted items of clothing, daily lattes and impulse goods in the checkout line -- but have little of impact in the end.  Organizations act like Alexander, too.  We serve our clients with Alexander-esque economics and it all feels very ordinary.

I applaud those who save up their treasures and then plunk down a wad on something that will create a thrill.  Here's to creating a WOW experience -- for yourself, or for your customers.  In the end, it could be the best money that you've spent.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment