Friday, February 8, 2013

#252 decision roundup

I own a pair of cowboy boots.  When I decided that I wanted them, I knew I wanted red.  I tried on one pair in red; they fit, and I wore them home.  

Contrast that with someone else that I know who decided that she wanted cowboy boots before Christmas.  She went on-line to research them, and for several conversations after her due diligence, she talked through her findings with others as she processed the information in her mind.  She knew she wanted the "R" toe and not the "J" toe; the Ariat brand was desirable but pricey; the shaft height had to be a certain level, etc.  To this day, I have no idea what the differences are!  Finally she narrowed it down to a Legend or Heritage and ordered two from Zappos to try on.  This involved having a "fashion show" at work and soliciting the opinion of a dozen or so people as to which look they preferred.  She took that feedback, but still wanted try them on at home with jeans and walk around the house for awhile.  I am not sure if she has yet to make a choice.

The thing is, she is having as much fun shopping for boots as she will from wearing them.  Her email about it even said "thanks for giving me something to hunt for".  There is nothing right or wrong about either style of decision making, especially when it is for pure personal pleasure.  

The lesson here is that different people inherently have different styles of decision making. If you work with or for someone who is more comfortable with a robust context and facts, it is better if YOU do your research before presenting a proposal that is the equivalent of "red".  But if you work for/with someone who expects you to evaluate the options and then present one, it requires a different approach on your end.

Decisions, on big things and small, are hard enough to make.  Tailor your style to the decision maker so that they are as comfortable as possible as they ride into the rodeo.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment