Tuesday, February 19, 2013

#263 regrets

Sunday was Michael Jordan's 50th birthday, so the airwaves were filled with the "50 Greatest MJ Moments" and other tributes.  I grew up outside Chicago, with a brother who was one of His Airness' many adoring fans, so I watched my share of Bulls games.  Somewhere along the way, I became a fan myself.  I watched in awe as Michael performed his heroics on television night after night; but more than that I admired his focus, drive and astonishing consistency.

One of the few regrets I have in life is that I did not ever see Michael Jordan play in person.  I had proximity to a legend, and I did not take advantage of it.  I could have seen a game without hardship or travel; I just didn't make the time to do so.  And now the opportunity is lost forever.

I think that we all get complacent, thinking that things we see on television, watch in a theatre or hear on the radio is the real thing, even though we know it isn't.  

Don't let a screen be a substitute for seeing someone you admire in person.  Whether it be in an arena or field, on Broadway, in a concert hall or at a TED taping, breathe the same air as someone you revere.  I'll bet you'll regret not doing it far more than if you did.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com




No comments:

Post a Comment