Friday, February 1, 2013

#245 courage

Today is the anniversary of the civil rights sit-in at the Woolworth store lunch counter in Greensboro, NC.  Fifty-three years ago, four brave college students* sat at the counter and ordered coffee.  They remained in their seats all day when service was refused.  Other students, both black and white, followed their lead and conducted sit-ins of their own throughout the year.  By the end of 1960, over 1600 people were arrested for their role in similar demonstrations.  

I am fascinated by the civil rights story, for many reasons, but I know that a key factor is because college students played a pivotal role in advocating for equality.  

The mantra of many in the movement was "If not now, when?  If not me, who?".  I think of this often as I know it applies in my work today.  The cause is not as lofty, but in many situations I feel as I have an obligation to ask the hard question or to push a point that needs to be raised.  I am fairly sure that as a college student I would not have been brave enough to travel across the country, participate in a dangerous situation and advocate for people I did not know.  So today when I ask myself that question, I try to have the courage to answer as they did and act.

The next time you find yourself in a tough situation, think of the four who sat at the lunch counter and all those who followed, and ask yourself "If not now, when?  If not me, who?".

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

* The ordinary college students who impacted their world were Ezell Blair, Jr., Franklin McCain, Joseph McNeill and David Richmond from the Agricultural and Technical College.  It is doubtful that you ever heard of them, but their lunch counter is on display in the Smithsonian.  

No comments:

Post a Comment