Monday, September 21, 2015

#1207 consistency

I was never a fan of Mr. Rogers, but I did appreciate one of his quotes:

"I like to swim, but there are some days I just don't feel much like doing it -- but I do it anyway!  I know it's good for me and I promised myself I'd do it every day, and I like to keep my promises."

I can certainly relate his swimming to my blog writing.  If I only wrote on the days I felt like it, I would have far fewer postings than I do now.

I wonder why it is that I keep to the discipline of writing a daily blog, but don't always have the same tenacity with other intentions that I have.  Could it be because the blogs are public, or more likely because they are numbered?  Perhaps it is because I have not missed one day in over three years so hate to break the 'streak'?  Maybe it is because I don't ask myself if I 'feel like it', because I hardly ever do.

Think about a positive behavior you have that you wish to replicate in other areas of your life.  What characteristics make up that pattern which you can apply to other tasks or habits?  If Mr. Rogers could swim daily and I can write for 1206 days, maybe there are things we all can learn from that kind of consistency.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

Source:  The World According to Mister Rogers: Important Things to Remember by Fred Rogers, Hatchette Books, 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment