Friday, September 25, 2015

#1211 overseeding

I just had my lawn aerated and overseeded in preparation for next year.  With two large dogs, my grass needed some help just to stay even!

The instructions that came with the overseeding were simple: keep it watered and let the grass grow!  I cancelled my lawn service for the rest of the season and hope that Mother Nature continues to cooperate with the hydration. 

I have only missed one regular mowing, but already I am antsy about it.  The existing grass is growing too, and I hate having a shaggy-looking lawn. I have to resist temptation to cut it now so as not to roll over and then cut down the fragile new seedlings.

I think my lawn is a metaphor for other activities that require patience.  We can't see the planning that goes on behind the scenes in our organization, so we change course and don't let the original plans take root.  Maybe we plant seeds, but don't water them and wonder what went wrong. Or we don't see instantaneous success from our efforts and declare the project to be a failure, or perhaps the grass doesn't grow because you skimped on the seeds.

Twenty percent of the earth's vegetation is grass, and there are some plants from 1000 years ago that are still living today.* Don't mow over your organization's plans or values too easily and they may grow to similar stature and longevity.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

Source:  Turf Talk from Lawn Doctor, Fall 2015




No comments:

Post a Comment