Thursday, October 8, 2015

#1224 believe

I recently attended the lecture of someone I had never heard of.  I went because it was part of our speaker series for the semester, and usually I enjoy those programs even if the topic is seemingly not of interest before I go.

This is a lesson I learned from my student activities days: you don't have to know the performer for the performance to be good.  For the most part, it's a safe bet to trust the committee that picked it.  They know far more about the engagement than you do, and are more invested in the program's success than you are.  Thus, they have done their due diligence, seen or heard as much as they can about the artist and made their best judgment as to what will please the audience.

More often than not, unknown performers have a small crowd -- that loves the show -- and then tells all their friends that they should have gone! On college campuses, the same acts are brought back for multiple years and the crowd grows, because now there is someone others trust to vouch for the performer.  

You believe your friend when they say "this act is good; you should go."  Take that risk and believe the sponsor when they say: "this act is good; you should come."  Chances are they are right.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment