So you can understand why I was delighted to come across a speech Jim Collins gave to the Global Leadership Summit. (His comments were made in 2015, but I just heard them). Collins focuses on his comments around seven questions that frame his learnings from his recent time teaching leadership at West Point.
I encourage you to read Good to Great, and, if you have already done so, to listen to the seven questions that Jim poses to young leaders (young being a relative term!).
- What cause do you serve with Level 5?
- Will you settle for bring a good leader, or will you grow to be a great leader?
- How can you reframe failure as growth in pursuit of a BHAG?
- How can you succeed by helping others succeed?
- Have you found your personal Hedgehog?
- Will you build your unit -- your minibus -- into a Pocket of Greatness?
- How will you change the lives of others?