Wednesday, March 27, 2013

#299 details

I am one of those people who is hard-wired to pay attention to details. Most of my training, and certainly the leanings of my temperament, has me thinking of the logistics, planning and specifics of projects or events.

But I also like to think that I know when enough is enough. It is hard for me to encounter people who spend a seemingly inordinate amount of time on trivial details that are inconsequential to the outcome. They banter about and fret about options that do not impact the goal, and then become stressed about all the decisions that have to be made.

When you find yourself contemplating yet another layer of decisions, ask yourself if it is truly warranted. Does what you are dealing with matter to the essence of what you are trying to achieve?

Focusing on the obscure, minute or non-essential details of a project is like cooking a gourmet dinner and worrying if the spice rack is alphabetized. Don't lose sight of the main course.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment