Thursday, April 18, 2013

#321 energy sources

We interviewed a candidate this week who said "I'm an introvert.  And I'm a professional extrovert."  I feel that way myself.  Given my druthers, I would be home alone with a couple of dogs and a good book, but my job requires me to interact with people most of the day.  I have done professional training in front of hundreds; I make presentations to large groups on a regular basis, and I talk with families in our office every day.  I'm even pretty good at it.

But the social interaction drains me.

It is a distinction that only serious students of Myers-Briggs or introversion/extroversion studies understand.  Introversion/extroversion is about preferences, not skills.  

Introverts can be as gregarious as extroverts when the situation warrants, but they will go home exhausted.  Extroverts become energized in group settings and the interactions pump them up rather than tax them.  

It is important for you to recognize your own preferences, rather than skills, so you can align your work with responsibilities that will regularly stimulate you and you can make accommodations for the times where it can't.  We have battery usage monitors on our phone -- develop a personal gauge so you can retreat into your cave or go out into the commons when your own indicator warrants.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment