Monday, April 22, 2013

#325 all or nothing

I live in one of the 11 states that have "container deposit legislation", more commonly known as a deposit on beverage cans and bottles.  

I am probably one of the most avid recyclers I know, and I hate the bottle deposit as it is.  To me, it is a vestige of a different time and should be either repealed or strengthened.  When the Iowa law was enacted in 1979, curbside recycling wasn't even a thought on the back burner.  Bottled water was a rarity.  So deposits only occur on carbonated and alcoholic beverages -- so not the millions of water bottles, power drinks or teas that are used daily.  

If given my preference, I would eliminate the deposit that forces me to drag all my pop bottles back to the grocery store instead of conveniently tossing them in my recycle bin.  But if the law is to remain, I would advocate including all beverage containers -- not just a select few that make the law even more confusing.  

The middle ground isn't always the best route to take.  Is there a practice in your organization that was a great idea at the time, but needs to be revisited -- to either expand or eliminate?  Do you have a set of rules that apply only to one population but should be broadened (e.g.: why do only 18 year old men have to register for the draft)?  Is there some policy that made sense when enacted, but has lived beyond its time (e.g.: using social security numbers as ID numbers)?

As the bottle laws illustrate, once a policy is set, it becomes difficult to change it one way or the other so it remains in the middle and aggravates everyone.  Today, try to be bold and make one decisive change that warrants an all or nothing call.  

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com





No comments:

Post a Comment