Thursday, May 8, 2014

#706 strongest suit

I know there is a movement toward more casual dressing, but I remain a fan of dressing up.    I look at my calendar before determining what to wear to work each day, as some days warrant "better" than others.

Some people put on their game face; I put on my game clothes.

Today is our board of trustees meeting, and I can guarantee that I will not be wearing the same outfit that I will wear on a summer Friday.  A former colleague of mine donned cuff links for such occasions.  Others have different suits or some accessory that helps them feel just a little bit more confident.

In a past life, I insisted that one of my youngest hires wear a tie, daily, to help him transition from student to staff.  He hated it, but I still maintain that it served him well. 

Casual is akin to email; it certainly is pervasive and totally accepted in the work environment.  It is also why dressing up -- the contemporary equivalent of a handwritten note -- distinguishes you in a most positive way.  

The next time you want to be more on top of your game -- or you want to make an impression on others -- tailor your attire to the occasion.  Call me old fashioned, but I do believe that dress does make a difference.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment