Tuesday, May 13, 2014

#711 cheers

Blog #711 of course reminds me of the 7-11 convenience store -- a place I frequented when I lived in St. Louis.  I think they were the innovators of the big cups of pop (aka Big Gulps), and I often started my morning with some cold caffeine. 

Mike was the attendant there.  I knew his name because he knew mine -- and the names of everyone who had ever come in on his shift.  He would ask your name the first time and then remember it forever after that.  Unlike some places that give a hollow promise of friendliness, Mike lived it in the minute or two you were in his workplace "home".

I contrast that to other businesses that purport to be friendly, but do not provide any personal service or distinction between one customer and other.  You can walk through the store and do your shopping without any acknowledgement or interaction except from the person who robotically takes your money.

There are advantages to being known, and sometimes perks to anonymity.  Often it is comfortable to go where "everyone knows your name", yet it is also freeing to be totally invisible and on your own for a spell.  

People can thrive under either scenario; just don't be disingenuous about which you provide.  If you preach "small, friendly, caring", be prepared to hire the Mikes of the world and deliver it.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment