Thursday, January 12, 2017

leadership dot #1686: ribbit

There are definitely days when I stare at the computer dreading that I need to write a blog -- staring for as much time as ultimately takes me to write the darn thing. I think I need to adopt Brian Tracy's philosophy and start my day by eating a live frog.
Actually, it was Mark Twain that said if you started each day by eating a live frog it would probably be the worst thing that would happen to you all day so good to get it over with! Brian Tracy just brought Twain's logic into the new millennium. 
A frog, as the logic goes, is your most important task of the day. And if you start by accomplishing your one big task, not only do you check that off the list, but you save time by not avoiding it. Tracy suggests that developing a habit of "eating the frog" right away will pay countless dividends over time. He offers these five steps to master the skill:
  1. If you have to eat two frogs, eat the ugliest one first. (in other words, start with the hardest task and stick with it to completion)
  2. If you have to eat a live frog at all, it doesn't pay to sit and look at it very long. (so stop staring at the computer and start writing!)
  3. Take action immediately. (develop the discipline to begin and work toward results)
  4. Develop a positive attitude.  (success will help you become addicted to accomplishing more)
  5. No shortcuts. (practice eating frogs every day)
I have eaten 1686 frogs now, and you would think that they would begin to taste better, but that is not always the case. Perhaps I need to review Brian Tracy's ebook on the subject and adjust my palate. I hear frog legs are a delicacy!
What frog should be on your morning menu?

No comments:

Post a Comment