Saturday, April 8, 2017

leadership dot #1772: observe

Since it's Saturday, many of us will be doing stuff-of-life errands that include a trip to Target. For most of us, the purchases are pretty routine and the transactions are forgettable. 
But one Target employee saw much more in his exchanges during his first week working at the retailer. In a humorous and reflective fashion, Tom Grennell shares his observations about some of the customers who came through his line:
> Children continue to handle their own transactions. This makes my day good. One girl had her own wallet and told me: "Thank you for your help, sir." This makes my day great.
> A very angry old man pulled two full carts through. He purchased a Twix bar, a bottle of Diet Pepsi, 36 pair of underwear and 262 adult diapers. I believe I have just had another glimpse of my future.
> A customer came through looking nervous. She leaned over the counter. She whispered to me. Someone had pooped in the baby supplies aisle. All evidence pointed to it not being a baby
Tom's reflections seemed similar to what I call having "blog eyes" -- intentionally reflecting on the small things that happen right before us and making connections to something bigger than ourselves. How can you really pay attention to life today? Try to see the world around you with an inquisitive perspective and think of what observations you would make if you were Tom or writing a blog. The world is much richer when you see the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment