Friday, June 22, 2012

#21 house rules

Seeing all the coverage of Queen Elizabeth's 60th Jubilee got me in the mood to watch The King's Speech movie again.  It is one of my favorites and full of so many lessons.

A scene that particularly resonated with me during this viewing was when the eccentric speech therapist Lionel Logue (Geoffrey Rush) is firm about the conditions under which he will treat the Duke of York/King George VI (Colin Firth).  "My castle, my rules," he says without apology.

I hope that if you asked my staff they would say that I ascribe to the same philosophy of setting and articulating clear expectations.  The rules of my castle include:  Don't waste my time.  Never utter the words "that's not my job".  Don't even think about breaching confidentiality.  Give me time to ponder before you need a decision.  Be specific about what you need. 

Everyone has their own little castle, even if you are not the boss.  Inside your head you can control your actions and set down immutable rules for your own domain.  It's a lot easier to live by the rules and have others do the same around you when you are clear about what is truly important to you. 

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots

leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment