Saturday, October 6, 2012

#127 managerial observations

Yesterday I was interviewed by two students in a management class whose assignment was to understand some of my perspectives as a manager.  One of the questions they asked was whether I have had any negative experiences as a manager and how I handled them. 

I wanted to just refer them to yesterday's blog post, but as my mind flooded with examples of the not-so-fun-side of supervision I realized that personnel problems often fall into two main categories.

One is like "eating the couch" (see #126) where an employee knows the expectations, but fails to meet them.  Often a good person does a singular act that results in firing.  Those situations require a significant and swift response in managerial action.

More often than not, managers are dealing with more subtle and on-going performance issues.  The employee may not understand the expectations, or may not have the skill or motivation to meet them.  This requires very different tactics from the manager, including repeated coaching, performance plans in writing, frequent feedback and monitoring.  There is nothing quick about this process; but, unlike scenario one where the result almost always ends with an employee departure, I have had much success in coaching employees and helping them become productive and successful members of my team.

The students asked me advice that I would give them should they become managers, and my answer is the same whether you are a manager, colleague, family member or part of any relationship.  Learn to give feedback without drama.  Cultivate the skill of being able to point out where someone is not meeting your expectations in a way that is timely, direct, brief and without a swell of emotion around it.  You'll have much more success if you calmly help your staff know what great looks like for you.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment