Friday, October 19, 2012

#140 written

Yesterday's blog advocated for sharing the cultural rules or insights about yourself if you are the supervisor.  In that spirit, I will continue this line of thinking by sharing some examples about me to help you frame what should be on your list.

Written BY me:
> I really, really do not like waste…and that includes especially a waste of time.  Be prompt and prepared for your meetings with me.
> I much prefer things in writing.  Give me a proposal in writing to think about.  Send me an email outlining your thoughts. 
> ...but things don't need to be lofty or formal.  A bulleted list.  A handwritten outline.  An email with a "heads up".  Simplicity and conciseness are appreciated.
> Never promise more than you can perform.  If you can't do something, or can't do it by the date needed, please don't tell me that you will.
> The corollary is true too.  If you need me to do something by a certain time, please let me know.  I rely on you to let me know what you need to be successful.
> I expect your thoughtful, active participation in staff meetings.  You are invited because you are a talented person, not just because of your position.  Use the opportunity to share your insights.


Written ABOUT me:
> I'm not surprised you didn't get a good read on her :) We tease her that she's extremely hard to read!  That said, she will tell you what she is thinking without hesitation, so you're rarely left wondering what's going through her head.
> She believes that nothing is sacred... meaning that just because we've always done something a certain way, it's encouraged to ask why or offer a new solution.
> She's not huge on complimenting, especially in person. But she will always recognize your efforts with others, never taking credit for something she didn't do. She sends a lot of cards :)
 > She doesn't seem interested in having power... she is much more interested in empowering others to do good things. I know that sounds cheesy, but it's totally true with her.
 > She is extremely organized, and always follows through. I have NEVER met someone who follows up like she does. If she asks you to do something, she will hold you accountable to do it. If she agrees to do something, you are guaranteed it gets done.
 > She makes decisions... sometimes too quickly, which can be frustrating when it's not the decision you want. However, you can make your case and she will listen. There have been many occasions when I have made a case and she's changed her mind having heard my thoughts.

Notice a difference in tone?  I was very fortunate to have been given access to list #2 (your employees may not want to share the truth!!!), so if an unvarnished list is not an option for you, just create your own.  Don't make people new-to-you play a guessing game.  Happy writing!

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

With deep gratitude to Tricia

No comments:

Post a Comment