Sunday, October 7, 2012

#128 memories

Because I don't remember much that I don't make a note of, I am always in awe of those with a fantastic memory.  Two examples come to mind:

One is Carlos, a high school student who is a waiter at my favorite Mexican restaurant.  My friend and I always order the same thing, albeit with quirks and special requests.  Carlos  knows our order the moment we walk in and has drinks waiting before we sit down.  He remembers every last detail, down to the steak knife to cut the quesadilla, without so much as a word.  I hope that Carlos won't spend his life waiting tables because I am confident that memory such as his would take him far in an academic setting, but for now, it makes for a truly pleasant dining experience. 

When I think of an amazing memory, I also think of Andy, an ex-admissions staffer, now development officer.  The same gifts that allowed him to develop relationships with prospective students are helping him to make friends with donors.  By remembering the little details and showing people that he truly has distinguished them as an individual, he sets himself apart from those appealing for other worthy causes.  He listens to what donors are passionate about and matches it with what he heard on campus about the institution's needs.  He has a long and prosperous career ahead of him in the advancement field.

I have a terrible memory, and so have devised my own systems as a way to remember details.  (Let's just say that it involves putting everything in writing!).  What traits are true gifts for you and how can you match them with aspects of your career?  And conversely, in what ways can you compensate for your shortcomings?  We all can't have the memory of Carlos and Andy, but we are all great at something.  Find your greatness and let it shine.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment