Tuesday, October 16, 2012

#137 the boss

"A good friend will listen to us without judgment, accept the intensity of our feelings, respect our pain, and express concern.  A really good friend will, in addition, help us to see our situation in a new way."   -- Mark I. Rosen

The above quote was from the community civility project that I have mentioned.  As we commemorate Boss's Day today, I would suggest that the word "boss" could be substituted for the word "friend" and the sentiment would still hold.  

Good supervisors help people see the world with new eyes, and often apply constructive criticism in an effort to make the employee better than they were.  Really good supervisors help people become better than they thought they could be. 

I have had a host of bosses in my career and I have learned from all of them.  Granted, I have learned from some what not to do, but on the whole these men and women have made me a stronger professional due to their questioning, prodding, supporting and dreaming.  

I take my role as supervisor as the most sacred of all of my responsibilities.  My #1 job is to create capacity within my staff; to make them better thinkers and better "doers", and, if I am really lucky, to have a tad bit of influence on them as people.  

Whether you are the boss or just have a boss, use today to recommit to investing the time it takes to have the conversations alluded to in the opening quote -- ones that lead to deep understanding and improvement of both the situation and the person.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment