Monday, October 22, 2012

#143 ruby slippers

One of my favorite analogies is that of wearing the Ruby Slippers.  Like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz, who always had the ability to do what she wanted but did not realize it, many employees today are empowered to do amazing things but they don't act on it.  People often become tentative; hesitating to take action because they haven't explicitly been given permission to do something.  I try to teach my staff (and others) that they are "wearing the ruby slippers" and are able to do much more on their own than they are doing.

When one of my staff members left for another position, he made me a pair of ruby slippers by covering a pair of little girl's shoes in red glitter.  Now, every time I touch them, bits of glitter fall off and leave a mark behind.  I think it is appropriate that they do -- you can't put on the ruby slippers without leaving a lasting legacy, both metaphorically and in reality.

I believe that everyone has access to the power of the ruby slippers. Most people are more empowered than they take advantage of or even acknowledge.  As a citizen, employee, colleague, mentor, relative or friend -- everyone has the power to make an impact and leave bits of their glitter on those with whom they come in contact.  Start clicking your shoes today!

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment