Friday, October 12, 2012

#133 the works

As part of a package I purchased through a silent auction, I received two coupons for a Papa Johns one-topping pizza.  When I ordered my last one, I upgraded to "the works" at a cost of $5.  I was a happy customer.

Last night, when I attempted to do the same thing with my second coupon, I was told that I couldn't do that, even though I explained that someone had honored my request before.  Still no.  Need I say that it was the worst pizza I have eaten?  My expectations from Papa Johns equal "the works" and I was missing about eight toppings on what I was stuck with.

It makes me wonder why some manager (and yes, the order-taker checked) would be so short-sighted as to say no when saying yes would have a) created a satisfied client, b) who was willing to pay the differential and c) who had previously forgotten how good "the works" was and may be likely to order again at full price.  What good came of saying no?

I was quick to jump on Papa Johns, but I am always second guessing our own service delivery.  It is so, so easy to say no and I fear that sometimes I and my own staff may do it in spite of good intentions.  When we say no to people who want to visit or be advised at times that are outside of our scheduled availability, are they comparing us to my pizza experience?  When families want to process transactions on line that need to be done manually are they seeing that as a "no"?  When internal clients want to do something on a modified timeline or with different project parameters do we accommodate them or refer them to "the policy"?  When departments want extra support or resources from us that bend the boundaries, do they get a refusal?

For today, try to deliver "the works" to those who ask you.  There really is a difference between that and the compromise of the one-topping.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment