Thursday, December 13, 2012

#195 icons

Regular readers will remember that I was eligible for a free upgrade on a perfectly functional phone (#157), but I declined.  Until last week when my phone's plastic keys decided that they no longer needed to connect electronically to the corresponding letters!  So, like millions of others, I got a new iPhone.  And, to fully capitalize on this technological marvel, I had my dogs purchase me a new computer as a Christmas gift, so now I am modern and integrated (oh yes, and poorer). 

Since I had been living in the dinosaur age, I had no need to shop for any accessories.  Now I see that an entire industry has emerged while I was sleeping.  There are more peripherals and decorative accompaniments to "i"-everythings than I can assimilate into my brain.  I went to download a basic calculator app and had a choice of 9,000+ options.  For a world that didn't even think it needed a tablet, Apple surely discovered a subconscious desire.  Any of the initial jokes around the name of the iPad now seem ludicrous -- say "pad" and no one is thinking of feminine products like they were when it was introduced. 

"App" has become a commonplace word in our vocabulary; there must be an app for everything imaginable.  I think about the demand there must be for app developers.  People are rapidly becoming accustomed not only to electronic access to everything, but to EASY access to it.  Our world is being delivered through icons.

When you think about your work and what you contribute, how would it be represented in an app icon?  If your organization is the tablet or phone -- full of a litany of apps -- what is the key element that YOUR app contributes to the overall array of applications that others bring?  The "i" revolution is modeling the trends of specialization, personalization and choice that are seen throughout other elements of life.  How are you identifying your gifts in a succinct, "iconic" way and specializing in something that integrates well and contributes to the overall functionality of the whole?  If you're stuck on your answer, I'm sure there's an app to help you clarify things for you!!

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots

leadershipdots@gmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment